855-632-4477 M-F 9AM-5PM
BHIPP TAP services include Telepsychiatry (e.g., consultation, evaluation, medication prescribing), Telepsychology or Telecounseling (e.g., cognitive behavioral therapy, motivational interviewing, etc.) and Care Coordination. All telemental health services take place through a HIPAA-compliant encrypted video call.
Are there costs associated with BHIPP TAP services?
Referrals to BHIPP TAP services are available free of charge and regardless of your patient’s insurance status.
How do I make a referral?
1. PCP calls 1-855-MD-BHIPP for a consultation.
2. BHIPP consultant will determine appropriateness for care coordination and/or telemental health services and will consult with other BHIPP team members as needed.
3. BHIPP consultant will indicate appropriateness for telemental health services in the BHIPP disposition letter and will include the BHIPP TAP Referral Form if appropriate OR a BHIPP TAP Referral Form will be sent by the BHIPP Care Coordinator.
4. PCP completes and returns the BHIPP TAP Referral Form via fax or email.
5. BHIPP Care Coordinator will contact the referred family/patient within 24-48 hours of receipt of completed Referral Form to provide additional information regarding services, obtain consent for services (verbally, via DocuSign or email/fax), and schedule the intake session.
What can be expected during the appointment?
During the appointment, the parent and child will see the BHIPP telemental health provider over a video screen. In some cases, the provider may ask to meet with the child or parent alone.
Care Coordination appointments may take place outside of the pediatric primary care office and may be conducted via video or phone call.
How many sessions will the patient/family have?
The length of treatment depends on the diagnosis as well as the severity of a child’s symptoms. We evaluate the level of care a child needs during the initial evaluation session, and then we adjust the level of care according to the child’s needs throughout the treatment process. The primary care provider will be responsible for the child’s care after BHIPP TAP services are completed.
The BHIPP TAP team will remain in contact with the PCP throughout the course of treatment.
What conditions do to you treat?
Our clinicians are experts in the diagnosis and treatment of social, emotional and behavioral challenges, including:
• Anxiety, including selective mutism, separation anxiety and social anxiety
• Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
• Autism spectrum disorder
• Behavior problems
• Bipolar disorder
• Developmental disorders
• Exposure to stressful/traumatic events
• Learning disorders, including dyslexia, dysgraphia and non-verbal learning disorder (NVLD)
• Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
• Phobias and fears
• Sleep difficulties
• Speech and language disorders
• Suicidality and self-harm
Want more information?
Contact the BHIPP Consultation Line at 1-855-MD-BHIPP.
BHIPP is supported by funding from the Maryland Department of Health, Behavioral Health Administration and operates as a collaboration between the University of Maryland School of Medicine, the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Salisbury University and Morgan State University.
BHIPP and this website are also supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as part of an award totaling $433,296 with approximately 20% financed by non-governmental sources. The contents of this website are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the official views of, nor an endorsement, by HRSA, HHS or the U.S. Government. For more information, visit www.hrsa.gov.
To contact the webmaster, click here.